Savor a rhyming celebration of one of the world’s most universal foods! Readers follow ten diverse families as they cook dumplings inside their homes in preparation for a neighborhood potluck. Dumplings are added to plates one by one, encouraging children to count with each new addition. Authentic recipes for all the dumplings and a map showing their regions of origin are included in the endnotes.
Dumpling Day features dumplings from India, USA (Pennsylvania Dutch), China (Cantonese), Nigeria, Japan, Israel, Mexico, Syria, Russia and Italy.
Key Selling Points:
- CONTEMPORARY SETTING & ILLUSTRATIONS: Chic artwork from Mexican illustrator Inés de Antuñano depicts a contemporary urban neighborhood setting.
- CULTURAL AWARENESS: Offers an engaging introduction to dumplings as a universal food and their cultural variations.
- MATHEMATICS: The book counts from one to ten as one more dumpling is added on each spread.
- ADDED VALUE WITH RECIPES: Endnotes include user-friendly, authentic recipes for each of the 10 dumplings in the endnotes. Each recipe has a difficulty rating and uses ingredients that are commonly found in grocery stores.
- CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED AUTHOR: Written by Meera Sriram, author of the critically acclaimed, A Gift for Amma, and based on her own life experiences as an immigrant living in an urban melting pot.